Hobby Boss – Armored Train Car – 1:72

The kit in question has a tiny background story to tell…

Normally you would never see me purchase a kit like this since i am not a train guy. But in this case the kit was purchased for me in order to paint and weather it and give it to a relative of mine (who IS a train guy) as a christmas present. In order to reach this deadline i had less than a week to build and complete.

The Kit:



Yep, armored train car… As Germany invaded Russia in summer ’41, the russian military was woefully unprepared as Stalin envisioned this not occurring before ’43. One of the problems that needed quick attention was protection of trains

In typical russian practical fashion a simple but effective solution was found: take an old grain wagon or something similar, slap on some armored plating and modify the roof so it can hold the turret of a KV-1 heavy tank. Done and home in time for vodka.


Thanks to a very low parts count construction only took me about two hours, including coffee and smoke breaks. I was pleasantly surprised that the model was of a decent size and not so small it dissapeared on the palm of my hand. Also the low parts count did not affect detail levels at all. Not being into trains i still can hugely appreciate the great potential for weathering these subjects. Just look at all those pretty rivets! Oh and did i mention the railway track base that comes with it? Our lust for weathering is starting to surface!



In retrospect i really wished i had more time to work on this model so i could really go to town on the ageing of this little gem. But alas, it is a speedbuild. Nevertheless i really tried to not rush too much and even had a chance to do some color modulation effects and the likes.

I started off by priming the whole thing, then coated the model in flat white and added black preshading


I then proceeded by airbrushing Vallejo Russian Green in progressively lighter shades to accentuate the flat angled surfaces. Darker towards the wheels and lighter towards the roof.


Lastly i handbrushed the protruding parts and all riveting to make them ” pop”. The subsequent weathering will tone down the stark contrast and blend everything in.


Also i gave our base a nice coat of paint. Flat black for the rubble, dark brown for the wooden parts and gunmetal and steel for the tracks.



After coating my work with satin varnish my model was ready for weathering effects. Using oil paints i started with a dark pinwash around all the protruding parts. While cleaning this up i added some streaking effects with it as i went along. This was then augmented by drybrushing the entire model with a very light color for more “pop”.


After i let all this give some time to cure, i then proceeded with more streaks using rust colored oils. The tracks got treated with washes and generous coats of dust effects using pigments.


Done! Time spent: approximately 20 benchtime hours over the course of 5 days. A true speedbuild. Thanks for watching


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s